Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Numbers are misleading

Over the course of my fitness journey, I have had to remind myself that my level of fitness is not defined by the number on the scale.  I received a compliment this morning from a neighbor that I see in the gym frequently about my looking thinner and that my face has slimmed down.  My immediate thoughts went to the number on the scale.  Pictures though as well as the way my clothes fit tell a different story than the number on the scale does.

Eating healthier and increasing my number of workouts is starting to pay off.  I don't run as many miles as I did before I strained my achilles, but I'm doing pilates and weights which seem to be changing the way my body looks and feels.  I've increased the weight on my upper body work from 10 pounds to 15 pounds and increased my leg press from 60 pounds to 72 pounds and plan on upping that to the next plate next week.  All of those things are progress, even if the scale doesn't show it the way I would like it to.

The point is, keep going.  Just because we don't see the expected changes reflected in the scale, chances are we will see those changes in the way our clothes fit, the way we feel and our levels of energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment