Saturday, March 1, 2014

2014 - Fitness Reset

I have not given up on the Marathon, but finishing 2013 and starting out the year with Achilles tendinitis and a calf strain didn't do anything to help my fitness goals. So, to get myself back on track now that I'm able to run a little more (still doing physical therapy) it's time to start addressing what I eat.  I've been doing a lot of reading about diet and weight training lately and I came across IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros) and some of it makes sense.  I know that I should be watching what I eat anyway and I'm finding that my body is sensitive to a couple of different foods. 

Now, the hard part is trying to plan my day as much as possible.  It seems that IIFYM works best when you can plan ahead. For instance, I know that this evening I will be eating pizza and cupcakes for my daughter's birthday, so I should plug that info into my fitness pal so I know what I have left for lunch today. I know that I won't be able to stick to this 100% and I'm okay with that.  This is just a way for me to get a handle on my nutrition while I'm getting my mileage back up.

This being March 1st, I felt like this was a good time to start fresh. Today was the last day in my weight training week so the workout was this:

Seated Leg Press: 3 sets of 10 - 60lbs

Dumbbell Bench Press - 3 sets of 10 - 10lbs

Dumbbell Bent Two-arm Row - 3 sets of 10 - 10lbs

Russian Twists - 3 sets of 15 - 8lb medicine ball

Since Sevrine and I are running a 5k tomorrow I did not run today like I normally would on Saturday.  Next week though it will be nice to see what a typical week will look like.  My weight routine is one that I was able to find online and is a true beginner weight workout.  Workout A is above and Workout B is 3x10 dead lifts, 3x10 Lat pull-downs / pull-ups, and 3x10 over-head/military press. Next week is BAB. 

Beginning today, my goals for 2014 are:

* Lose 19 pounds
* Run 5-6 days per week (lower mileage and build so I don't piss off my Achilles)
* Stay healthy/injury free
* Cut out soda gradually
* Strength train consistently
* STRETCH

I'm sure there are more things that will go along with that, but as of right now, those are my fitness goals.  I know that I will need to revise these goals as well over time since lose 19 pounds sounds good, but I may look better with 19 pounds of fat loss and putting 5-10 pounds of muscle on.  The number on the scale is more a pride thing I think for a lot of people, so while that is the immediate goal, it may not get me the shape I want.

March 1, 2014
Weight: 144
Body Fat %: 26.9
BMI: 25

Goal
Weight: 125
Body Fat %: 24
BMI: 22

They don't seem like big goals, but I think that I need to shoot for what I think is reasonable.  I don't want to set myself up for failure, so we're going to do this slowly and readjust goals bases on not only the way I look, but the way I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment