Friday, March 21, 2014

Spring

It seems like spring is a time for new beginnings. I don't really think that it was coincidence that I was discharged from physical therapy on the first day of spring as well.  This is a chance for me to begin with essentially a clean slate.  My running future can be whatever I want it to be. I have the tools to make it successful.  

It took injury for the need for strength training to really sink in. I need to make time to take care of and strengthen my muscles as well as stretch them.  I still identify myself as a runner, not a weight trainer, but it won't be neglecting the weights anymore. I've been doing a pretty good job over the last few weeks, I just need to set up a system that will work with a normal training schedule and set time aside for stretching/yoga and strength training. I know that it will be a challenge, but I know that it will be really important if I want to run without injury.

So, here is an update on my progress. I have not been that good about tracking my macros, but just it being in the back of my mind has helped me to make better food choices than I was before. I probably weigh myself too much, but part of me is still checking for how my body responds to certain foods. I weighed myself again this week and while I was a little disappointed that I had gained a half a pound, I had lost another .3% of body fat. Basically I'm adding muscle. This just goes to show that the number on the scale is not always a good indicator of progress.

I will of course continue to update on how things are going. I really want to work on my consistency in my strength training workouts, which will mean finding something that I can do with the limited equipment I have.  Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment